Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hear Ye, Hear Ye - I Napped!! I Napped!!


Mommy has great news to report - I had a fantastic first full day of school!!!

This morning when Mommy dropped me off, I was much less clingy. I hung onto her for about two minutes, then let go and went off to play. After Mommy left, we took a walk to a local park and fed the ducks at the duck pond. Miss Vicki said that I was so excited about feeding them I could barely contain my enthusiasm!!

When we returned, we had art and play hour. When it was time for lunch, I ran to be the first in line to wash my hands (when Mommy was with me for lunch last week, I refused to stand in line and wanted nothing to do with washing my hands!) Miss Vicky said that I stand very patiently in line, then I excitedly walk to my assigned seat and eat my lunch. I even stayed in my seat the entire lunch period today!!

Then it was time for what Mommy dreaded most - naptime. I am the world's best sleeper at home, but take me somewhere other than my crib and I refuse to close my eyes. After lunch, the boys got out their mats and started to lay down for nap. Miss Janelle tried to lay me down on the mat, but I became fussy. What princess sleeps on a flat, blue mat? Miss Janelle put on the pink sheet that Mommy had sent, but I wasn't buying it. A princess deserves better sleeping accomodations than that.

Miss Janelle decided to sit on the rocking chair and put me on her lap. That was more like it!! Between the rocking, snuggling with Pinky and Blankie, and the back rub, I could fight it no more and was asleep in about ten minutes. Miss Janelle transferred me to the mat, and the next thing I knew it was an hour later and I was waking up. The other boys were still asleep, so I just stayed on the mat resting, talking quietly to Miss Janelle every few minutes, trying to conserve more energy for the afternoon. When the boys woke up at 3, I was ready to go!!

Mommy showed up at 3:30 and couldn't believe that I had slept!! She was so proud of how well I did today. She didn't even seem to be upset when I protested leaving. I finally gave in after about ten minutes and left with Mommy. When we got home, I collapsed on the couch with the latest Toys R Us catalog and a snack (see photo). I was motionless for about twenty minutes and then decided it was time to play with Trix and Emmet.

I had so much fun today. I can't wait to go back tomorrow!!! Mommy hopes that I continue to do as well as I did today. We'll keep you posted!!

P.S. My cool cousin Drew wrote some helpful daycare survival tips for me on his blog. I thought I'd share them with you. Thank you for your words of wisdom, Drewbie!!

As my cute cousin Charlotte heads off to the world of friends and finger paint, I thought I'd pass along a few success tips I've learned.
*Don't be afraid to be the teacher's pet. I've found that a consistent program of charm and hugs works well when you want to wrap the teachers around your little finger. They also love it when you give them cuddles and hugs right after you wake from your nap.
*Share your goldfish. This is a sure way to win friends and influence in the toddler set.
*Naps are important. Who wants to sleep when there are so many new and exciting things to look at? I sure didn't; it was several months before I napped on a regular basis. So, don't worry if you're too excited to sleep at first. Keep trying, and eventually you'll be able to curl up on the mat and recharge your body for that important afternoon play session.
*Learn to defend yourself. They might be your friends most of the time, but your schoolmates still lack impulse control which could lead to the occasional whacking. My mommy is an excellent self-defense teacher; I highly recommend her.
*Don't forget about your Mommy. This will be a difficult time for her--she's spent the last 2 years taking care of your every want and need. Remember to give her a big hug when she picks you up in the afternoon--let her know she's still #1.Have a great time Charlotte!

No comments: