CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 27, 2007

Mission: Matoes

Word is getting around that I am an excellent worker. Since Mommy told everyone that I assist Daddy with his work on Sunday mornings and that I am a great sous chef, my services have been in demand.

Last week, Mom Mom and Pop Pop called upon me to help pick the millions of matoes ('tomatoes' to those of you uncivilized people who don't understand Charlottese) in their backyard.

I had never picked matoes before, but I knew that was a mission that I could accomplish. This is a photo of the very first mato that I picked. I was so proud that I decided to display it along the fence so that everyone could admire its beauty.

Since there were literally a million matoes, I decided to bring along my trusty assistant, Drew. He has days of experience picking matoes and peppers in his backyard, so I knew that he would be a capable assistant.

Drew kept telling me not to pick the green ones. He's such a boy. He didn't realize that I had to pick them - they matched my outfit too well to leave them behind!


After Drew insisted that I only pick the red ones, I decided to attempt to fill more brown bags with ripe matoes than he did. I worked so quickly that Aunt Sammi had difficulty keeping up with my speed. It's so hard to find a good bag holder these days!!

Step aside - coming through with another full bag!!

Notice Drew in the background sans bag. What a slacker!!




After minutes and minutes of picking only the ripest and juiciest of matoes, my assistant and I decided to take a break and admire the lovely lawn art in the backyard. Here I am trying to explain to Drew that this isn't a real angel. Kids!


The bunnies in our yard at home always hop away when I run after them trying to say hello. This one stayed put and let me pet him.




After contemplating it for about thirty minutes, I finally decided to take the plunge and sit on the back of the famous (or infamous) Backyard Deer. Mommy and Aunts Amy and Sammi used to sit on it when they were kids, so I decided that I had to continue the tradition, sit on the deer, and hear Mom Mom yell, "Stay away from the antlers. You'll poke your eyes out!"

Backyard Deer and I became fast friends. He was a great resting spot for me after picking so many matoes.

This was me last August when I wanted nothing to do with Backyard Deer. Funny how much courage one can muster in a year!

Picking millions of matoes is extremely tiring. So tiring that I actually slept in the car on the way home. Sleeping in the car is a very rare occurance for me, so Aunt Sammi decided to capture the moment on camera.

Thanks for letting us storm through your yard, Mom Mom and Pop Pop!!

Stay tuned - I go for my first day of school on Wednesday. I'm going for a half day. The half day should give me enough time to assert my dominance over the eight boys in my class. Mommy will post photos of me on the big day. Wish me luck!!

No comments: